SpiritualChristianUnity.org Homepage    |   SCUW Prayer Group    |   About Us   |   Christian Art    |   Links

SCUWPG

www.

SpiritualChristianUnity

.org

Spiritual Christian Unity

Worldwide Prayer Group

"Praying for Christian unity 

in love and holiness together in Jesus"

Moderators: Pastor Iverson
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

- V - V is for Victory!, by Veech, Guthrie
 Login/Join 
posted
Please note the following is an excerpt from “Jesus’ Prayer from A to Z”, of which I’m Editor.

- V -

V is for Victory!, by Veech, Guthrie

(Victory is assured by a future glimpse revealed in John’s apocalypse: “...behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues standing before the throne...” Revelation 7:9 What a victorious prophetic testimony that Jesus’ prayer is answered! - The Editor)

“May they be one... so that the world may believe that you have sent me.” (John 17:21) What a challenge for the church! Victory comes only as we show the world that the church is one. It is through that unity that men and women come to know Christ as Savior. The Bible is clear, “But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (I Corinthians 15:57). True victory is found only in following Christ as Lord.

As I think of the word victory, one person comes to mind - my preacher, Brother Bill Gaslin. He fought the good fight; kept the faith; and entered life eternal. He taught his disciples well. In all the battles of life, Christ has won the victory. He grew up with my dad and taught him that message. Dad never forgot it. When I was a child in church, Brother Bill and Miss Tootsie (as we called them respectfully), led all kinds of people to victory in Christ. When you are a Christ follower, the ultimate victory is yours.

Bill only served three churches. He was youth minister at his home church, South Louisville. His childhood preacher, Olin Hay, was Senior Minister. That was the church where I was born again. Brother Hay desired to plant a new church on the far south side of Louisville. Shively Christian Church was planted and Brother Bill was sent to preach there for six months. He stayed for 20 years. My family moved to the new church plant. From there he moved to Spring, Texas to plant a new church. He stayed there for 20 more years. Upon his retirement he moved back to Louisville and worshipped at Shively. One of the joys of my life was holding an interim ministry at Shively, knowing Brother Bill heard my sermons. He was a great encourager of Christian unity. He would always teach, “through Christ, you can do it.” Hundreds came to know Christ as Savior through his ministry.

He gave that same message to all his Timothys. It was a message of Kingdom work, not individual kingdoms. His Timothys number nearly two score. On any given Lord’s Day, as many as 10,000 people worship in their individual local churches - and it all started with his focus on victory, “through Christ, you can do it.” When you add to that the influence he had on thousands of kids at church camps like White Mills Christian Assembly in Kentucky and Tanglewood Christian Camp in Texas (which he helped found), thousands more know Jesus and preach His Word around the world. Then consider further that some of his Timothys serve in Bible colleges, and the second generation of his influence multiplies Kingdom work by thousands more.

Upon becoming President of Saint Louis Christian College, I was certain I had met Professor Larry Doggett before, but could not remember where. One day when requesting prayer for Brother Bill and Miss Tootsie, Larry reminded me that Bill Gaslin served on his mission board for many years. Larry’s mission work was supported by the Shively congregation when I was a child growing up there. Brother Bill regularly introduced the church to real missionaries. Why? Because we are one people around the world. Bill’s Kingdom mindset brought victory in worldwide Kingdom growth. Today, some of his Timothys are missionaries sharing Christ’s victory around the world. And thousands more around the world know the ultimate victory found only in Christ. It all started with Brother Bill preaching “Through Christ, you can do it.”

Just as Jesus said, the Kingdom of believers grow as the world experiences our oneness of spirit. Brother Bill’s words of victory sound very similar to the challenge of Paul. You “can do all things through Christ who strengthens” you. (Philippians 4:13) Yes, “V” must stand for VICTORY! Jesus taught that message. Paul taught the message. My preacher, Brother Bill taught me the message. And I plan to teach it all the days of my life.

Thank You, God, for the victory of unity that comes in Christ Jesus, our Lord. Amen and Amen! Come quickly, Lord Jesus!

For All The Saints who from their labors rest,
Who Thee by faith before the world confessed
Thy name, O Jesus, be forever blest:
Alleluia! Alleluia!

O blest communion, fellowship divine!
We feebly struggle, they in glory shine;
Yet all are one in Thee, for all are Thine:
Alleluia! Alleluia!

From earth’s wide bounds, from ocean’s farthest coast,
Through gates of pearl streams in the countless host,
Singing to Father, Son and Holy Ghost: Alleluia! Alleluia!

- William W. How (1823-1897)

Have I pondered the ultimate answer to Jesus’ prayer in Revelation 7:9? Is my life helping or hindering its fulfillment?

Pray for...Veterans and the Elderly...

...Believers in Vanuatu, Vatican City State, Venezuela, Vietnam, Virgin Is. (U.S.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom (Jn.17:21) M.,

Fellowship of John 17:21
www.john17-21.org

Posts: 28 | Location / Country / Region: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: 06 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post