SpiritualChristianUnity.org Homepage    |   SCUW Prayer Group    |   About Us   |   Christian Art    |   Links

SCUWPG

www.

SpiritualChristianUnity

.org

Spiritual Christian Unity

Worldwide Prayer Group

"Praying for Christian unity 

in love and holiness together in Jesus"

Moderators: Pastor Iverson
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

-W- Word and World, by Wetzel, C. Robert
 Login/Join 
posted
Please note the following is an excerpt from “Jesus’ Prayer from A to Z”, of which I’m Editor.

-W-

Word and World, by Wetzel, C. Robert

“...as You, Father, are in me, and I in You; that they also may be one in us...”

Jesus is the Word that gives us the word. The prologue to the Gospel of John makes this clear: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God... and the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:1,14)

When John calls Jesus the Word, he uses a term, logos, that anyone with a knowledge of Greek philosophy would have understood in its theological significance. The Logos is that which bridges the gap between the eternal and the temporal, that which communicates perfect truth to our limited understanding. Jesus as the Word, not only comes from God, he is God. Who better to convey the words of God?!

Thus we are reminded in the prayer of Jesus that he came into the world to give us God’s words, and the disciples had accepted them. And yet the disciples would remain in an unbelieving world, while Jesus would soon return to the Father. He prays, Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. (John 17:17) To be sanctified here is to be set aside for a holy life and mission, to be protected from an unholy world that had rebelled against God.

The disciples and all subsequent believers are commissioned to convey the word of life to this dying world. This would often be a dangerous task. But Jesus’ prayer reminds us that the greatest threat to believers is not so much from the world “out there”, but from the world that penetrates believers themselves.

Division is one of the worst forms of worldliness in the church (see Galatians 5:19-21). It not only disrupts the harmony of the Body, but even more tragically, it compromises the very words of Christ to an unbelieving world. Hence Jesus prays, May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. (John 17:23) The unity of the Body of Christ is not just for the comfort of believers, it is essential for the evangelistic mission of the church.

Prayer: O God who revealed yourself in our Lord Jesus Christ, may your words so burn in our hearts that the coldness of division will be warmed away by the grace you have revealed to us in Christ, so that the world may believe. Amen

The insidious sin of sectarianism,
like pride and self-righteousness,
is a stealth sin,
slipping in undetected under the radar,
often masquerading as taking a stand
for truth and right.
It is quick to question the motives of others,
and all too ready to remove those who disagree
from its circle of fellowship.

It is the most acceptable sin among orthodox believers
because it usually goes totally unrecognized.
It exchanges a love of righteousness
for an obsession with being right.
It loves its own opinions, positions and convictions
more than it loves the brethren.
It is listed with the other damning works of the flesh,
(like sexual immorality, witchcraft, and drunkenness);
Those who make it their lifestyle
shall not inherit the kingdom of heaven. (Gal. 5:21)

- Thomas E. Mackey

Blest Be The Tie That Binds our hearts in Christian love!
The fellowship of kindred minds is like to that above.

Before our Father’s throne we pour our ardent prayers;
Our fears, our hopes, our aims are one, our comforts and our cares.

We share our mutual woes, our mutual burdens bear,
And often for each other flows the sympathizing tear.

- John Fawcett (1740-1817)

How can the unity word of ‘the Word made flesh’ become flesh in me?

Pray for…Water & Waste disposal/ Writers…

…Believers in West Bank, and the World’s 10/40 Window

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tom (Jn.17:21) M.,

Fellowship of John 17:21
www.john17-21.org

Posts: 28 | Location / Country / Region: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: 06 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post